- The current page
- Home>Visiting Places Associated with Sengoku>Kishu Toshogu Shrine/Tokugawa Family Mausoleum
The Sengoku conqueror, Tokugawa Ieyasu ended a world of warfare
The Siege of Osaka ended the turbulent times, ushering in the Edo period when Ieyasu brought peace to the land.
Wakayama prospered as a foothold for the western provinces and the Kishu Tokugawa Family began their rule.
Kishu Toshogu ShrineThis shrine is connected to the Tokugawa Family and is also called the Nikko of Kansai.
Built by Yorinobu in 1621, this shrine connected to the Tokugawa Family is also called the Nikko of Kansai. The main shrine and hall of worship are national important cultural properties. Carvings by Jingoro Hidari and murals by Tanyu Kano can be seen in the gongen-zukuri style of buildings. There are also 17 treasured articles, such as battle gear, pottery, and clothing. It is known locally by the nickname, Gongen-san.
Carvings by Jingoro Hidari are found on the main shrine and hall of worship.
Goshuin-cho from the National Toshogu Shrine Association created in 2015 to commemorate the 400th anniversary of the death of Ieyasu (top), and goshuin from Kishu Toshugu Shrine (bottom)
Location: 2-1-20 Wakauranishi, Wakayama-shi
Hours: 9:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m. (visitors can freely walk around the shrine grounds); Entrance Fee: (to view the inside of the shrine only): 500 yen (includes an approx. 15-minute explanation)
Access: Approx. 20 min. by bus from JR “Wakayama Station” or Nankai Electric Railway “Wakayamashi Station;” get off at “Gongen-mae”
Tokugawa Family MausoleumThe third shogun, Iemitsu built this mausoleum for father and son, Tokugawa Ieyasu and Hidetada.
This mausoleum in Koyasan enshrines the spirits of father and son, Tokugawa Ieyasu and Hidetada. It was constructed by the third shogun, Iemitsu in 1643. Facing the mausoleum, the building on the right is for Ieyasu, and the one on the left is for Hidetada. Both are 5.4 m square, single-story hougyou-zukuri structures that have been designated important cultural properties. The interiors are closed to the public, but the elaborate construction, including carvings and ornamental metal fittings, can be viewed from outside. From the wall surfaces to the miniature shrine, the mausoleum is decorated with metallic lacquering and brilliant decorative metal fittings.
Location: 682 Koyasan, Koya-cho, Ito-gun, Wakayama
Hours: 8:30 a.m.–4:30 p.m.
Closed: December 26th–January 4th
Fee: 200 yen
Access: Approx. 10 min. by bus from Nankai Koyasan cable car “Koyosan Station;” get off at “Isshinguchi”